This Charter sets out the structure of the NT Business Council (NTBC) and the key protocols for the operation of the Council and the rights and responsibilities of Members of NTBC. This Charter explains NTBC’s commitment to good governance and should be read as an expression of principle.
The purpose of NTBC is to:
- Enhance the effectiveness of, and provide support to, the leaders of Northern Territory based industry and professional associations.
- Promote the development of member associations through information sharing and the professional development of industry leaders.
- Foster and disseminate best practice in representation.
- Educate the public, media and policy makers on the benefits of a healthy business sector to the economic and social performance of the Northern Territory.
Membership of NTBC is open to industry and professional associations based in the Northern Territory. Membership is held by the association; members will be represented by their most senior Northern Territory based employee.
Associations wishing to join NTBC shall be nominated by a current member representative. The nomination will be considered by the Council and an invitation to join NTBC based on a simple majority decision.
Each Member shall nominate a Representative usually being the most senior employee based in the Northern Territory
4. COUNCIL COMPOSITION, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
NTBC shall comprise of Representatives of each Member,
The Representatives are responsible for the overall governance of NTBC including ensuring the continuity of the NTBC and the long-term viability of the NTBC. Specific responsibilities of Representatives are outlined in the Member’s Agreement (Appendix 1).
The business of the NTBC is managed under the direction of the Executive. The Executive shall comprise Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer and shall be elected by the member representatives.
The Chairman is responsible for:
- leadership of the Council
- the efficient conduct of the NTBC functions and meetings, including the Agenda
- facilitating the effective contribution of all Representatives
- final approval of content for publication on the NTBC website news and events pages
- is the spokesperson for the Council
The Vice Chairman is responsible for:
- in the absence of the Chairman, fulfilling the duties of the Chairman
The Secretary is responsible for:
- assisting the Chairman with the development and coordination of NTBC Meeting Agenda items, and the distribution of meeting papers
- the maintenance of the NTBC website
- making sure the NTBC has the right policies and procedures in place to meet its legal requirements
The NTBC secretariat function will be delivered by the association represented by the Secretary. The secretariat shall provide operational support to the Executive. A secretariat fee can be negotiated to supply this service.
The Treasurer is responsible for:
- developing an annual financial budget for approval by the Members
- arranging for the payment of accounts and collection of Membership fees
- monitoring and reporting on expenditure
- making sure the NTBC has the right financial policies and procedures in place
These responsibilities may be delegated to other Representatives. Other NTBC responsibilities will be distributed amongst member representatives as required.
All Representatives agree to undertake additional duties from time to time to support the NTBC.
NTBC meetings shall be held monthly. The purpose of these meetings is to:
- share industry knowledge and insights through the industry-roundup and / or guest speakers
- provide professional development activities, including the establishment of business networks
- conduct the Election of the Executive, annually or as required
- consider and approve matters related to NTBC operations, including membership applications, budgets and external communications
Meetings shall be formally structured, following a standard agenda and recording proceedings in the Minutes. Meeting documents are confidential, unless the Council determines otherwise.
The Council is committed to communicating member benefits and services to its members and stakeholders.
The NTBC website (www.ntbusinesscouncil.com.au) is the primary tool for external communication. It is the responsibility of the Representatives, via the Secretariat, to maintain the currency of the information about the Member association available from the website. The submission of news and event information for publication shall be forwarded to the Secretariat and must be approved by the Chairman prior to uploading.
Member organisations will manage communication on matters affecting their industry through their association. In exceptional circumstances, NTBC may choose issue a statement or submission on behalf of the Council. These communications shall be distributed by the Chairman, and only after approval of the members (simple majority).
NTBC meetings shall be the primary means of communication between member representatives.
Members and their representatives are responsible for:
- Arranging and maintaining appropriate Public Liability Insurance cover for their association and representatives
- Acting in a manner that respects and protects the interests of NTBC. NTBC accepts no responsibility for the actions of members or their representatives
- involving themselves in NTBC activities and informing themselves of the range of constituent views relating to the scope of NTBC’s operations
- oversight of NTBC, including its control and accountability systems
- input to and final approval of the budget
- election of NTBC Executive
5.2 In discharging his / her duties, each representative must:
(a) exercise care and diligence
(b) act in good faith in the best interests of NTBC
(c) not improperly use his/her position or misuse information of NTBC
(e) commit the time necessary to discharge effectively his/her role
 Reference to the statement may be made through the NTBC website but must refer readers to the associations website to access the statement, submission etc.